The European Society of Radiology (ESR) in cooperation with the European Institute for Biomedical Imaging Research (EIBIR) invites applications for the ESR Research Seed Grants 2020.
The purpose of this program is to stimulate and provide funding for innovative projects and pilot studies that will subsequently lead to larger studies and further funding applications.
Project proposals must align with one of the ESR Research Seed Grants thematic areas. The funding priorities 2020 are for research in Artificial Intelligence and Cardiac Imaging. Proposals at all stages of development are welcome. Topics within the fields of AI or Cardiac Imaging include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Data annotation
– Algorithm development
– Algorithm training
– Algorithm testing
– Algorithm validation
– Data preparation
– Data acquisition
– Image analysis
– Software testing
– Outcome analysis
– The Call for Proposals is open to researchers of all ages working in a radiology department in a European country.
– Applicants must be members of the European Society of Radiology (Become a member now!).
– The project proposed should not have previously received funding from another grant or form part of another ongoing project application.
– Seed projects will generally have a single Principal Investigator (PI) who will be the grant recipient. However, collaboration with contributors is not excluded.
– The direct supervisor or department head must confirm their support of the project.
– Applicants are only eligible to receive one seed grant per cycle.
Applicants may request seed grants amounting to €4,000-8,000 for a period not to exceed 12 months. Proposals must detail how awarded funding will be allocated for the duration of the project, and how the project is envisaged to continue once the funding period ends.
Up to 10 seed grants will be awarded in 2020. The ESR and EIBIR reserve the right to select fewer proposals or to not award the grant if the proposals received are not of sufficient quality.
Recipients will be announced at ECR 2020 and will meet their programme mentors there too.
Recipient Requirements and Guidelines
Use of Funds: The funds approved are to be used exclusively for the purpose of the project and its implementation.
Payments: Grants will be transferred to recipients in two instalments.
Presentation of results: A paper or poster highlighting the project outcomes must be submitted to and, if accepted, presented at ECR 2021.
Publications: Any papers resulting from this work should be submitted to one of the ESR’s journals: European Radiology, Insights into Imaging or European Radiology Experimental. Only if rejected by these journals, papers may be submitted to other journals.
Acknowledgements: Recipients are expected to acknowledge the support of the ESR Research Seed Grant in all publications.
All proposals will be peer-reviewed by a selection committee composed of leading, independent scientists with expertise in the related fields. The evaluation and award decision will be carried out under the auspices of EIBIR in collaboration with the ESR Research Committee.
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
– Clarity and significance of the rationale
– Objectives are in line with the scope of the fund
– Originality and soundness of hypotheses
– Quality and suitability of the implementation methods
– Feasibility of timeline and cost-effectiveness of the budgetary plan
– Expected impact and prospects for continuation of the project beyond the term of the seed grant
The completed Seed Grant application must be submitted in English via the application website including a letter of support by the PI’s supervisor.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2020 (11:59 pm CET)
Outcome Notifications: Last week of February 2020
Grant Award Ceremony during ECR 2020: March 11-15, 2020
Funding Period: April 1, 2020-March 31, 2021
Further inquiries should be addressed to the EIBIR office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
 Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Vatican City