European Network for the Assessment of Imaging in Medicine
In response to a need for evidence for the rational use of imaging technology, EIBIR established the European Network for the Assessment of Imaging in Medicine (EuroAIM), to systematically assess radiological technology and seek evidence for its best use in clinical practice.
During the European Congress of Radiology 2010, EuroAIM promoted a European Working Group for Evidence-Based Radiology (EBR). The background of reference for this group was a paper called “Evidence-based radiology: why and how?“.
The key questions to be answered by the working group are:
- Why evidence-based radiology?
- What happens if evidence-based medicine is applied to radiology?
- Is the request of imaging examinations from clinicians evidence-based?
- What is the level of evidence of interventional procedures performed by radiologists?
- Are radiologists represented in the authorship of secondary evidence on imaging and radiological procedures?
- Are radiologists represented in the authorship of guidelines concerning imaging and radiological procedures?
- Is the use of high-tech radiological equipment evidence-based?
- How can the evidence on diagnostic performance of imaging modalities be easily and rapidly evaluated for specific clinical indications?
Curious to know more about the activities of the Evidence-Based Radiology Working Group?
The EuroAIM Joint Intiative has started a project on the evaluation of the quality of guidelines involving imaging using the AGREE II tool. This project is possible thanks to the close cooperation of the Subspecialty Societies of the European Society of Radiology.
The papers are published as Open Access in Insights into Imaging.
Below, is a list of reports already published:
- A critical appraisal of the quality of adult musculoskeletal ultrasound guidelines using the AGREE II tool: an EuroAIM initiative.
Messina C, Bignotti B, Tagliafico A, Orlandi D, Corazza A, Sardanelli F, Sconfienza LM. Insights Imaging. 2017 Jul 28. doi: 10.1007/s13244-017-0563-4
- A critical appraisal of the quality of adult dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry guidelines in osteoporosis using the AGREE II tool: An EuroAIM initiative.
Messina C, Bignotti B, Bazzocchi A, Phan CM, Tagliafico A, Guglielmi G, Sardanelli F, Sconfienza LM.Insights Imaging. 2017 Apr 21. doi: 10.1007/s13244-017-0553-6.
- A critical appraisal of the quality of head and neck cancer imaging guidelines using the AGREE II tool: A EuroAIM initiative.
Romeo V, Stanzione A, Cocozza S, Ugga L, Cuocolo R, Brunetti A, Bisdas S.
Cancer Med. 2019 Jan;8(1):209-215. doi: 10.1002/cam4.1933. Epub 2018 Dec 21.
- A critical appraisal of the quality of low back pain practice guidelines using the AGREE II tool and comparison with previous evaluations: a EuroAIM initiative.
Doniselli FM, Zanardo M, Manfrè L, Papini GDE, Rovira A, Sardanelli F, Sconfienza LM, Arana E.
Eur Spine J. 2018 Nov;27(11):2781-2790. doi: 10.1007/s00586-018-5763-1.
- Clinical practice guidelines on ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules: a critical appraisal using AGREE II.
Gitto S, Bisdas S, Emili I, Nicosia L, Pescatori LC, Bhatia K, Lingam RK, Sardanelli F, Sconfienza LM, Mauri G.
Endocrine. 2019 Mar 22. doi: 10.1007/s12020-019-01898-w