European Alliance for Medical Radiation Protection Research
The European Alliance for Medical Radiation Protection Research (EURAMED) represents a consortium of associations involved in the application of ionising radiation in medicine, namely the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM), the European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (EFOMP), the European Federation of Radiographer Societies (EFRS), the European Society of Radiology (ESR) and the European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology (ESTRO) with the goal of jointly improving medical care and its radiation protection issues through sustainable research efforts.
For the first time the five medical societies joined forces and agreed on a collaboration to improving the application of ionising radiation in medical care by developing and exploring common research strategies and by actively promoting the translation of results into clinical practice. The first major step to overcome the fragmentation and lacking visibility of radiation protection the medical field was the development of a first edition of a strategic research agenda (SRA) for medical radiation protection, which has been approved by the boards of the five societies in November 2015 and published in July 2016.
Recently, EURAMED, and the individual medical associations it combines, have provided strategic guidance and input to the development of the Horizon 2020 project, MEDIRAD. The project, which investigates implications of medical low-dose radiation exposure, received €10m in funding from the European Commission and started in June 2017. MEDIRAD brings together over 70 scientists from 33 organisations and 14 countries, and will significantly improve our scientific understanding and practice of radiation protection in the medical field.
EURAMED complements existing established European platforms in several other fields of radiation protection and will thus create visibility for the medical field in this context. The other platforms are namely:
- Multidisciplinary European Low Dose Initiative (MELODI)
- European Radiation Dosimetry Group (EURADOS)
- European Platform for nuclear and radiological emergency response and recovery (NERIS)
- European Radioecology Alliance (ALLIANCE)
The EIBIR General Meeting at ECR 2016 approved EURAMED as a Joint Initiative of EIBIR. The long-term goal of EURAMED is to establish an independent sustainable platform in order to increase its visibility and to become eligible for participation in European and international projects.
- To lead the European research activities in medical RP and to assume an umbrella function for the harmonisation of practice to advance the European RP safety culture in medicine
- To jointly improve medical care through sustainable research efforts in medical radiation protection
- Identification of common research areas defined in a common strategic research agenda
- To serve as a platform for medical radiation protection research, linking researchers and clinicians, adopting a harmonised approach to lobbying at European level to impact the European research funding landscape
- To develop an aligned approach and response to European research calls
The EURAMED Joint Initiative is chaired by Prof. Christoph Hoeschen from Magdeburg/DE, who can be contacted via the EIBIR office.
EURAMED Working Group Members as of May 2016:
Christoph Hoeschen, Uni Magdeburg/DE, Chair
John Damilakis, EFOMP
Wolfgang Doerr, ESTRO
Guy Frija, ESR
Gerhard Glatting, EANM
Hans Langendijk, ESTRO
Kristoff Muylle, EANM
Graciano Paulo, EFRS
Wolfram Stiller, ESR
Virginia Tsapaki, EFOMP
Jonathan McNulty, EFRS
Monika Hierath, EIBIR (Support)