European Alliance for Medical Radiation Protection Research
The European Alliance for Medical Radiation Protection Research (EURAMED) represents a consortium of associations involved in the application of ionising radiation in medicine, namely the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM), the European Federation of Organizations for Medical Physics (EFOMP), the European Federation of Radiographer Societies (EFRS), the European Society of Radiology (ESR) and the European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology (ESTRO) with the goal of jointly improving medical care and its medical radiation protection issues through sustainable research efforts. Since October 1st, 2017 EURAMED is a non-profit organisation registered in Austria.
For the first time the five medical societies joined forces and agreed on a collaboration to improve the application of ionising radiation in medical care by developing and exploring common research strategies and by actively promoting the translation of results into clinical practice. The first edition of a strategic research agenda (SRA) for medical radiation protection was approved by the boards of the five societies in November 2015 and published in July 2016.
During 2016 EURAMED and its individual medical associations provided strategic guidance and input to the development of the Horizon 2020 project MEDIRAD. The project, which investigates implications of medical low-dose radiation exposure, received 10 million Euros in funding from the European Commission and started in June 2017. MEDIRAD brings together over 70 scientists from 33 organisations and 14 countries and will significantly improve our scientific understanding and practice of radiation protection in the medical field.
The purpose of EURAMED is achieved by promoting research and teaching and by publication of scientific and professional information, especially a strategic research agenda in the field of medical radiation protection research, thereby increasing the science base in medical radiation protection. EURAMED pursues its purpose by co-operating with relevant national, European and international scientific organisations active in its field of interest and in particular with national and international bodies promoting the interests related to medical radiation protection and medical radiation protection research as well as with patient organisations and the public at large.
EURAMED complements existing established European platforms in several other fields of radiation protection and will thus create visibility for the medical field in this context. The other platforms are namely:
- Multidisciplinary European Low Dose Initiative (MELODI)
- European Radiation Dosimetry Group (EURADOS)
- European Platform for Nuclear and Radiological Emergency Response and Recovery (NERIS)
- European Radioecology Alliance (ALLIANCE)
- To lead the European research activities in medical RP and to assume an umbrella function for the harmonisation of practice to advance the European RP safety culture in medicine
- To jointly improve medical care through sustainable research efforts in medical radiation protection
- Identification of common research areas defined in a common strategic research agenda
- To serve as a platform for medical radiation protection research, linking researchers and clinicians, adopting a harmonised approach to lobbying at European level to impact the European research funding landscape
- To develop an aligned approach and response to European research calls
The administrative office of EURAMED is run by the European Institute for Biomedical Imaging Research (EIBIR) and can be contacted at email@example.com.
European Alliance for Medical Radiation Protection Research (EURAMED)
c/o European Institute for Biomedical Imaging Research (EIBIR)
EURAMED is a non-profit organisation, registered in Vienna, Austria.